Segunda-feira, 5 de Outubro de 2015

Acrylic write board with red LEDs

So my wife was almost celebrating her birthday and I was unsure what to give her. Since we have our little son sleeping in our bedroom, we needed a night light not as strong as the bedside lamps we have. I tought about it and then I decided to make one myself with a twist.

The Idea was to make a base that would house 3mm LEDs and illuminate an acrylic piece. I decided to have a sanded/mate finish acrylic piece to give a more uniform light.

I designed some parts on freecad and printed them on my 3d printer, other than that was manual labour :D.

So, lets go to the point.

The 3d designs are available at Youmagine and Thingiverse for now. 

I used an old acrylic board that I used as printer bed for my prusa. The acrylic thickness is 5 mm.

IMG_20151002_102020.jpg

I sanded it (a lot) with some sand paper and then I measured a rectangle of 150x100 mm

IMG_20151002_102050.jpg

 

IMG_20151002_102124.jpg

 

 

To cut them, I started really slow with the hacksaw, if you go fast, you melt the plastic and can easily fail the mark.

IMG_20151002_113306.jpg

after all cutting done, I scraped the sides with am utility knife to clean the burrs and then sanded it on top of a glass I scrapped from an induction heating plate.

IMG_20151002_113900.jpg

After sanding the plate, I decided to sand a little bit more on the edges, to make it a little bit rounder and softer on the touch, but at this moment I already decided wich was the bottom part edge. I decided to leave that edge as square as possible, in order to collect maximum light from the leds.

Having the acrylic board ready, it was time to assemble the leds and solder them. the design has 19 holes evenly spaced. 

IMG_20151002_134339.jpg

 I decided to make two blocks of leds. 1 with 10 led in series and other with 9. Each of this had a current limiting resistor of 1.5kohms since the power supply I used is a 30v one from a busted HP printer.

IMG_20151002_190229.jpg

After soldering all the leds, I added the resistors and protected the leads with some heat-shrink tube, inserted the cable to the power supply through the base hole and measured a place to make a knot that would serve as a strain relief. Soldering and some electric insulation tape after and all the wire was done.

The only thing needed to do now was assemble it, test it and finally give it to my wife :D.

IMG_20151002_190337.jpg

IMG_20151002_190416.jpg

IMG_20151002_190839.jpg

 Happy birthday princess!!!!

 

 

 

 

 


publicado por rlameiro às 18:33
link do post | comentar | favorito

.mais sobre mim

.pesquisar

 

.Outubro 2015

Dom
Seg
Ter
Qua
Qui
Sex
Sab

1
2
3

4
5
6
7
8
9
10

11
12
13
14
15
16
17

18
19
20
21
22
23
24

25
26
27
28
29
30
31


.Subscrever por e-mail

A subscrição é anónima e gera, no máximo, um e-mail por dia.

.posts recentes

. Acrylic write board with ...

. Lisbon Maker Faire 2015

. Hoverboat platform - Test...

. Hoverboat platform - Test...

. Hoverboat platform - Test...

.arquivos

. Outubro 2015

. Setembro 2015

. Agosto 2015

SAPO Blogs

.subscrever feeds